Quote of the Week

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.
~Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler

Thursday, September 13, 2007

She's guaranteed to blow your mind

When most people think of the term "feminist," they think of man-hating, Birkenstocks-wearing ballbusters with uber-short hair and a penchant for being overly sensitive about the place of women in society. While these feminists have their time and place (think: bra -burning in the 1970s) the actual definition of "feminism," according to dictionary.com is as follows:

fem·i·nism [fem-uh-niz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun
1.the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.

So all a feminist really is, is someone who believes that there should be equal distribution of rights among men and women. What a novel idea!

Let me start of by declaring that I am a feminist- by the above definition, at least. And if you think about it, you probably are too! Anyone, males included (!!), who believes that men and women should have equal rights is, by definition, a feminist! So if you believe that having different "private parts" shouldn't really have an effect on whether or not you can vote, study medicine or run a company, go ahead and pat yourself on the back for being so progressive.

And that's all this blog really is about. Giving a little bit of recognition to some of the most fascinating and inspirational public figures who just happen to be female. Whether they be politicians, activists, authors, real women or fictional characters, there are some really bodacious babes out there, and they deserve to have a blog dedicated to them!


P.S: I'm not sexist, and I don't hate men (I actually really like them!) Please don't interpret these posts as descrimination!

2 comments:

Towers said...

I read your post to my daughter and she asked that I let you know that she "liked it." We're looking forward to more. Personally, I'd love to see a piece on Bonanza Jellybean!

Tanya D. said...

Tell your daughter that I'm happy she liked it! It's for girls like her.
=)

I'll see what I can do about Miss Jellybean.