Quote of the Week

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.
~Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Biopics are Biosweet!

So I wanted to write about Frieda Khalo, one of my favourite artists, when Aaron suggested to me that I should write about the best female biopics. Which is a fabulous idea, because, well... I really like making lists.

It seems that most biopics center around great and powerful men (i.e. Ali, Raging Bull, Pollock, etc.) Which is great, of course, but where are all the women?? My friends, they are here.

So without further ado, I give you my top five favourite female biopics:

#5) Erin Brockovich:

Tagline: She brought a small town to its feet and a huge corporation to its knees.

Julia Roberts plays the title character, a single mother who starts off unemployed, and then becomes a legal assistant and brings down a huge California company accused of polluting the water supply to their small down. I like unpolluted water, and I like Julia Roberts, so this one is a winner for me.
Read the real story here!

#4) Marie Antoinette:

Tagline: Let them eat cake.
(Could it be anything else?! Of course not!)

Lots of people didn't like this film. Personally, I fell in love with it. It does a fantastic job of humanizing the child queen. It is quite clear that Sophia Coppola took a *lot* of artistic freedom with this piece, but she manages to make the viewer sympathetic to the girl, where in most cases people saw her as a villain. Marie Antoinette lived like a rock star, and I'm fucking jealous! (You know, aside from that whole French Revolution thing...)
Read the real story here!

#3) Walk the Line:

Tagline: Love is a burning thing.

Those of you who know me, may know of my complete adoration of Johnny Cash. He's a legend and one of my favourite artists. Walk the Line, however, was not only about him, but about his love affair with June Carter Cash. Aside from being one of the most passionate and romantic films I've ever seen (and I'm talking about real passion and romance here, not the phony stuff) it showcases what a tough and independent chick June was. Plus, Joaquin Pheonix and Reece Witherspoon did all their own singing, which is completely amazing to me.
Read the real story here!

#2: Elizabeth:

Tagline: Absolute power demands absolute loyalty.

I chose this as the #2 film on the list because not only is the film brilliant, but Elizabeth I is one of the strongest female figures in history. Often called "The Virgin Queen" because she decided never to marry, she held down the throne for 45 years. The film is a thing of beauty, and depicts her frustrations and the difficulties she faced as queen
.
Read the real story here!

#1: Frida:

Tagline: Prepare to be seduced.

Ah, finally, I get to talk about Frida Kahlo, one of my all-time favourite artists. The film follows her life from the tragic accident that crippled her and kept her in immense pain her entire life (eventually claiming part of her leg,) through her tempestuous marriage to painter Diego Rivera, her lesbian exploits (though much downplayed in the film) and trips to America, all the while exhibiting her brilliant talent as a painter. Frida Kahlo was a strong willed and influential artist, and Selma Hayek is brilliant in her performance. Please watch this movie!
Read the real story here!

All are fabulous movies showcasing strong, human women, with all their opinions and flaws. Check them out!

1 comment:

Ellen Mace said...

i LOVE this post.. and I'm so excited that Erin made it on cause i LOVE that movie so much... Sweet Post Tanya!!!!